Thursday, February 10, 2011

Project #1: She isn't real! Can't make her real...

I finally finished the project.  Here are the pieces that I used to make it with; shown above are just pics I found on Google.  Next, we have the original picture of the doll that I used to finish the project.  I planned on cutting all of her hair off at first, but then I decided to leave some and then give it and all its stuff to one of my little girl cousins.

I finished the project, after doing most of it on a Mac at school, on my PC at home, so I was hindered somewhat.  It's made me decide to buy a new mouse, but I digress.  Here is the completed picture.


The idea is that from the front, Paris, one of many women in Hollywood that supposedly demonstrate what beauty is supposed to look like, looks damn good for certain.  But the mirror shows us something else, shows us the truth behind the illusion.  She's just an empty shell, another puppet of the media used to brainwash the youth of America into believing in their idea of what female beauty is.  Don't get me wrong, I like the pretty girls too, but first of all, my standards aren't that ridiculously high, and second, I get turned off pretty quickly by abrasive personalities.  Now, the bloodstains and the dark, grainy look in the mirror are supposed to reflect (pun totally intended) the scary and masochistic aspects of the pursuit of this falsehood.  Like the fear of not fitting in felt by girls growing up and the scary things they sometimes do to their minds and bodies in order to be accepted by the rest of the sheeple.  And if you think about it, the concepts of plastic surgery and botox and all of that are really masochistic; we are allowing ourselves to be cut, stitched, and injected with chemicals here!  It's been going on like this for millenia in fact, good examples being Chinese foot binding and those painfully tight corsets that women used to wear back in merry old England.  Let's face it people, human beings are a seriously messed up species!  The point I'm trying to get across with this picture only demonstrates one of our flaws, there are so many to choose from.  Be a fake, Barbie-doll beauty for the masses that don't know any better, or be real for yourself; you decide.

No comments:

Post a Comment